Section 1 (Purpose and Significance)
www.couple.net <http://www.couple.net> (hereinafter called “Couple.net”) online service provides matching and meeting-related information for single adults and is operated by Sunoo, Inc. (hereinafter called “the Company”). Couple.net is registered in Seoul, Republic of Korea and its principal place of business is 3h Floor 590-18 Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-ku, Seoul Korea.
The provisions of this agreement (hereinafter called "the Agreement") have the purpose of stipulating the rights, responsibilities and duties of Members and the Company related to members’ profile information, online profile searching, matching services and member meetings.
The Company determines and governs the scope of Member profile information disclosure based on Members' consent. Member profiles on Couple.net are assumed to be truthful, so Members must agree to be held responsible for confirming others’ profile information on their own before dating or marrying anyone matched by the Company.
The provisions of this Agreement apply to all contents of Couple.net. Therefore, we ask that the entire contents be read carefully and thoroughly before joining Couple.net, because it is assumed that the contents are agreed to in their entirety by Members and shall take immediate legal effect after completion of Member registration.
Section 2 (Definition of Membership)
* Matching is only a recommendation to contact and meet another member, and it is members' decision whether or not to accept matches.
- Member:(a) One who registers for the Company’s Services by executing this Agreement and complying with the eligibility requirements stated in Section 5. (b) A participant in any online or offline event of the Company. (c) Anyone who uses wedding and other services provided by the Company. A member shall be considered someone who has joined Couple.net and has created a profile information.
- Pre-member: Someone who has not fully completed member profile/registration process.
- Never Married Member: Members who have confirmed that they are not currently nor have been previously in a common-law or legally registered marriage anywhere in the world.
- Divorced/Widowed Member: Members who have records of legal marriage in the past but who are currently neither legally married nor in a common-law marriage; however, in the case of the Republic of Korea, persons who have not legally registered their marriage but were in a common-law marriage shall be deemed divorced/widowed Members. In other cases Members' status shall be determined according to the laws and social/cultural norms of the Members' respective countries of residence.
* Meeting is considered to be once two members' have mutually agreed to meet and their contact information has been exchanged.
Section 3 (Protection of Personal Information)
- The Company collects the minimum necessary personal information related to matchmaking from a Member and also obtains consent from the member or subscriber for membership when collecting information regarding identification.
- The personal information provided by a Member will not be provided to a third party or used for any purposes other than the following without consent of the Member:
- For providing the minimum information regarding a Member (education level, occupation, date of birth, family background, contact information, photo and miscellaneous profile information) necessary for consultant use and providing matching service.
- For providing information necessary for statistical data, scientific research, or market research related to identification of a person.
- For providing information for business cooperation with a subsidiary or affiliate company.
- If a Member whose service period has expired or who terminates their membership with the Company requests profile removal, the Company will honor the request and make their profile publicly inaccessible. However, we will keep it on file for 5 years after the request in accordance with Article 6 (preservation of transaction record) of the Act of Protecting Consumers in Electronic Transaction of the Republic of Korea.
Section 4 (Scope of Member Information Disclosure)
- The Company shall disclose some of the information submitted at the time of joining when Members use matching service according to the categories listed below. Moreover, the Company shall treat personal information of members in good faith and use reasonable efforts to prevent loss, theft, disclosure, falsification or damage.
Classification of disclosed information
||Scope of Information Disclosure
|a. Information disclosed from the profile search result list
||First 3 letters of the username, age, birth year, city and state of residence, name of occupation
|b. Information disclosed after payment of Registration fee or completion of member registration
||In addition to items under a. above: marital status; profile reliability rating; meeting request response rate; number of no show reports; city, county and state of residence; nationality; ethnicity; languages spoken; religion and faith level; height; disability, job description, interest/hobbies; highest educational level; name of occupation; sibling information; residence type, and About Me
|c. Information disclosed after payment of Registration fee or purchase of service
||In addition to a. and b. above: family religion and faith level; weight; undergraduate school and major; graduate school and major; hometown, name of employer, job title; employment type; annual income (salary); net worth; father’s information; mother’s information, previous marriages and photo album
|d. Information disclosed after mutual acceptance for meeting and submission of service payment
||In addition to a., b., c., and d. above: name, phone number and email address.
Weight, annual income (salary), net worth, name of employer, father’s information, mother’s information and parents’ net worth shall only be disclosed when the Member has selected to allow disclosure (of this information) from his/her profile.
- Member information is disclosed only within the scope of a member’s submitted information, and information not entered in the registration form shall be marked as [Incomplete] when viewed by other Members.
- Company will not be held liable for any Members' submitted profile information.
Section 5 (Eligibility)
- You must be at least 18 years old to register for the Service and/or to use the Website. By using the Service and/or Couple.net, you represent and warrant/confirm that you have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement and that you agree to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- To become a Member, you must be legally single. If you have been married or been in a de facto marriage (co-habitation), you must disclose such facts.
- Persons convicted of a sexual offense or other serious crime (the seriousness of which to be determined at the sole discretion of the Company) shall not be permitted to register as Members.
Section 6 (Cautionary Matters when Joining Couple.net)
- Persons wishing to become Members shall enter their personal information in accordance with the conditions of Couple.net.
- The Member shall submit truthful and accurate personal information including his/her photo and verification documents; in case of falsification, he/she shall be legally prosecuted.
- The Member shall classify himself/herself as never married when he/she has never been legally or actually married at the time of Couple.net registration and as divorced/widowed if he/she has been in a legally registered marriage or common law marriage, and is currently legally single. The Member shall be liable in any criminal and civil proceedings that may result from joining as a Member without disclosing past or current marital status.
- If a member's profile and submitted background documents do not contain corresponding information, the Company has authority to pursue investigation of the member, restrict the member's use of services, and take legal action against the member.
Section 7 (Directions for Member’s Use of Service)
- In the event that a Member uses services provided by the Company, a username and password shall be created and controlled by the Member.
- A Member shall not allow anyone else to use his or her username or password. If a Member has his or her username or Password stolen or is aware that an unauthorized party is using them, such Member shall notify the Company immediately and comply with further instructions from the Company.
- The Member shall promptly log out of Couple.net account when ending the Couple.net service use and the Company shall not be liable in any way for problems that may result from information security/identity theft issues/use of Member information by a third party as a result of a Member incorrectly logging out of the service.
- The Member shall immediately notify Couple.net regarding change of personal information and related documents when there are changes to personal information provided to the Company for the use of service. Moreover, the Member shall maintain his/her personal information, and any liability for accuracy of personal information lies solely with the Member. The Company only confirms Members’ registered information and shall not be held liable for disputes arising from erroneous personal information registered by the Member; the Member shall be solely liable in the case of such disputes.
- Members will assume sole responsibility for updating their profile information or notifying the Company about any necessary changes to be made.
Section 8 (Services Provided)
- The Company provides the opportunity for members who have purchased service or paid Registration Fee to view profiles and to meet. Service types include self-searching, online and offline events, and customized matchmaking.
- Access to website forum
- The Member may receive various consulting services from a match consultant to have a relationship or marriage with someone met through Couple.net.
- The company may frequently provide marriage-related information, service announcements and guidelines by mail, email, phone, fax, or text message, and by agreeing to these provisions, the Member has consented to receive related information through the above-noted methods.
- The Company may limit or stop providing all or part of its services in case normal usage of the service becomes impossible due to repair of equipment, electricity failure, equipment trouble, excessive use of service, national emergency, acts of God, or other events of force majeure.
- The company has the right to pause or stop matching upon members' mutual request and confirmation because of getting married or dating exclusively.
Section 9 (Cautionary Matters When Using the Service)
- Although the Company does not currently check the criminal history of Members, it may request criminal history information at any time due to a Member’s suspicion/request for background investigation or when the Company deems it necessary.
- Anyone may post in the Couple.net forum, and Members will be held solely liable for any posted contents.
- The use of the Company’s services may be suspended, at the sole discretion of the Company, in the following cases:
- In case of a Member's actions such as character defamation, use of profanity, etc.
- In case of a Member's actions resulting in harm to others such as spreading false information about the Company or a member, etc.
- In case of a Member disclosing his/her own or another person's contact information or trying to elicit direct contact from others.
- In case of a Member posting or spreading information related to other companies or other organizations (that have no relation to the Company).
Section 10 (Service Charge)
- Service details (fees, validity periods, and descriptions) are outlined on the Couple.net website; all service fees (including Registration Fee) must be paid accordingly.
Section 11 (Refund of Fee)
- Refund for VIP Matching service will be given in accordance with member's customized service agreement, and refund of payment for online/offline events will be given in accordance with separately outlined event policies.
- Except for VIP Matching/Event/Registration Fee, 80% refund of service payment will be given only if requested within 7 days of purchase and only if service is still unused (no profile have been viewed, no Cupiding messages or meeting requests have been sent/accepted/rejected, no matches have been received).
- Fees shall not be refunded in the following cases:
- In cases where a Member marries another Member (including cases where a Member marries someone met before renewing Couple.net membership) including any meetings arranged through Couple.net; and, in case where a Member remains in a relationship through the service of the Company.
- In the case that service has been used (profiles have been viewed, Cupiding messages or meeting requests have been sent/accepted/rejected, matches have been received) cannot be refunded.
- In the case of Registration fee and service with immediate activation (including Registration Fee) are non-refundable after purchase.
- In the case of account termination (either by member or Company.
- In the case of refund request made more than 7 days after payment.
- In cases of a Member continuing to meet or communicate with another Couple.net Member after refund request, the request for a refund shall be denied.
- A Member who is in the process of receiving a refund may be restricted from using online services.
Section 12 (Notice and Efforts of the Company for Member Protection)
Increasing/ensuring reliability of Members and accuracy of profile information
The Company encourages Members to register accurate information on Couple.net to increase confidence about meetings and to protect Members. The Company also advises Members to verify other Members’ profiles before meeting.
- Members must pledge that they have submitted truthful information (including being legally single) and must agree to assume full responsibility for verifying other Members' personal information.
- Couple.net will not be held liable for any false information submitted by a Member.
- Sent/received meeting request records include reminders to check and verify information of Members' profiles.
- Reminders to verify the backgrounds of other Members are given when purchasing credits and that Couple.net will not be held liable for any false information submitted by a Member.
- Reminders are sent by email and text message after mutual agreement to meet/exchange of contact information to verify profile information of matched Members.
- Reminders are sent by email requesting that Members inform the Company of any changes to their single status to "Dating/Married(No matching)", as the case may be, in order to stop the matching service.
Section 13 (Disclaimer of Warranty, Limitation of Liability, Indemnification)
- The Company provides the Services on an “As Is” and “As Available” basis and grants no warranties of any kind, whether express, implied, statutory, or otherwise with respect to its Services or Couple.net (including all information contained therein), including any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. The Company does not guarantee/warrant that your use of the Services will be secure, uninterrupted, always available, error-free, or will meet your requirements, or that any defects in the Services will be corrected. The Company disclaims liability for, and no warranty is made with respect to, the connectivity and availability of the Services.
- In no event will the Company be liable for any incidental, special, consequential, or indirect damages arising out of or relating to the use or inability to use the Services, including, without limitation, damages for loss or corruption of data or programs, service interruptions and procurement of substitute services, even if the Company knows or has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- Under no circumstances will the Company’s aggregate liability, in any form of action whatsoever in connection with this Agreement or the use of the Services or Couple.net, exceed the price paid by you for your membership.
- You agree to indemnify and hold the Company, its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and other partners and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorney's fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of Couple.net or the Service in violation of this Agreement or arising from a breach of this Agreement or any breach of your representations and warranties set forth in this Agreement.
- Each Member is responsible for investigating the detailed personal information of Couple.net members, and the Company is not responsible for any circumstances that occur between Members after exchange of their contact information.
- The Company shall not be held liable for the contents of personal information such as truthfulness, accuracy, etc. registered in Couple.net by a Member.
- The Company shall not be held liable for emotional and material/financial damages suffered by a Member caused by using Couple.net unless the Company has been found to have caused such damages intentionally or through its gross negligence.
Section 14 (Responsibilities of a Member)
- Members shall provide the Company with accurate and truthful personal information and submit documentation relating to matchmaking and must disclose all information regarding previous marriage history, military history, credit history, criminal history, and any other information that could have significant bearing on the decision to meet. In the event that any of the information is incorrect or member submits any false documents, Member is liable for any and all legal consequences that may result.
- Documents submitted by the Member related to his/her own personal information shall be issued within three months from the date of membership registration.
- In the event of any changes to personal information, the Member shall notify the Company within 15 days of the change.
- Members shall behave appropriately and respectfully during a meeting.
- In the event that a Member starts dating or gets married to someone after being matched with that person by the Company, such Member shall notify the Company within 1 month.
- The Company provides compatible matching services for Members and uses reasonable efforts to ensure reliability of profile information, but ultimately, the Member is solely responsible for verifying and investigating the background of any person that he or she meets or marries.
Section 15 (Termination of Contract)
- The contract between the Company and Member shall be terminated by the occurrence of any of the following:
- Termination of contract by either party.
- Death of the Member, the Company declaring bankruptcy, or in cases where the purpose of the contract becomes impossible to achieve.
- Marriage between Members: Members shall be persons described in Section 2, Subsection 1 and shall include Members whose contract period of membership has elapsed.
- In cases where the causes are confirmed in the following subsections, the Company shall put the Member on notice for a week, and may, at its sole discretion, terminate the contract if such causes cannot be corrected within that period.
- A Member intentionally or negligently submits a forged or altered document.
- A Member is found to have failed to disclose a physical disability, mental disease, chronic disease, marriage history, bad credit, criminal history, or other circumstances deemed, in the sole discretion of the Company, to be unsuitable for starting a relationship.
- A potential partner of a Member complains more than two times to the Company that the Member makes the partner feel uncomfortable, makes the partner suffer indignities, or that the Member has failed to attend a meeting set up by the Company for the partner and Member.
- The Company shall give a two-week resolution period to any Member acting in the following manner, and if such Member does not take measures to prevent a reoccurrence of the action, the Company may, at its sole discretion, terminate the contract.
- If the Company determines that a Member has damaged or caused to be damaged the reputation or honor of the Company.
- If the Company determines that a Member has breached the laws of any jurisdiction or any provision of this Agreement.
- A Member may terminate the contract at any time without prior notice.
Section 16 (Suspension of Use)
Use of any or all services may be suspended or accounts will be permanently terminated when the Company, at its sole discretion, determines that a Member has violated this Agreement, or has intentionally or inadvertently posted the following contents in the Couple.net online relationship forum. In case of suspension of use and automatic termination, “verification points” and “credits” and other benefits accrued from using the “service’ shall be cancelled and no longer valid, and the “Company” shall not compensate for such.
- Posting or taking actions to distribute information to other members regulated in Subsection 7-1 of Section 44 of "Regulations on Internet Use Promotion and Information Protection" (Prohibition of Distribution of "Unlawful Information" of the Republic of Korea.) or violating standard online regulations of country of residence.
- Unlawful, intimidating, violent, illegal, vulgar or obscene contents and libelous or defamatory contents, contents invading privacy of others, discriminatory or racist contents and other inappropriate contents.
- Contents causing humiliation, disgust or fear
- Actions using another Members' username without consent
- Stalking or harassing other Members
- The Company may immediately restrict use permanently in cases of violations of related laws and regulations such as identity theft violating the “National Registration Law” and illegal payment, supply of illegal programs violating the “Copyright Laws” and the “Computer Program Protection Laws” and operation obstruction, and illegal communication and hacking, distribution of pernicious programs, actions exceeding access authority, etc. violating the “Internet Laws.” of the Republic of Korea.
- In cases where other rights including, but not limited to, copyright of the Company, copyright of a third party, etc. are infringed upon
- In case of collecting or saving personal information of other Members
- In case of obstructing or delaying normal operation, maintenance, etc. of the service
- Misrepresentation as management, administrator, or other employee or associate of the Company
- Actions defaming character such as using profanity or abusive language to another Member or an employee of the Company
Section 17 (Agreement Acceptance and Update)
- The Company may make changes to the terms of this Agreement at any time without notice as long as such changes do not violate the Consumer Protection Laws of the Republic of Korea.
- The most recently updated version of this Agreement is the effective version. However, Members who signed up for Couple.net under an earlier version of this Agreement may, by written request within 15 days of the implementation of this updated version, request to be subject to and bound by the terms of this updated Agreement.
- General terminologies or change of service use instructions that have no effect on the provisions of this Agreement shall be announced through Couple.net notices without modification of the provisions contained herein.
Section 18 (Jurisdiction and Governing Law)
- With the exception of Subsection 3 below, any provisions not expressly stated in this Agreement as well as any interpretations of this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Republic of Korea.
- For anyone residing in the Republic of Korea or anyone residing in country other than United States of America or China, if there is any dispute arising out of the use of the Couple.net website and/or the Service, you expressly agree and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the laws of Republic of Korea.
- For anyone residing in the United States of America, if there is any dispute arising out of the use of the Couple.net website and/or the Service, you expressly agree and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts of the State of Washington, United States of America for the resolution of any such dispute. For anyone residing in China, if there is any dispute arising out of the use of the Couple.net website and/or the Service, you expressly agree and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the “Beijing Haidian District People's Court” for the resolution of any such dispute.
Section 19 (Waiver and Severability)
- The waiver or failure to exercise any right under this Agreement by the Company shall not constitute a waiver of any other right under the terms of this Agreement.
- In the event that any section and/or provision of this Agreement is ruled legally unenforceable and/or invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
Section 20 (Entire Agreement)
This Agreement contain entire agreement between you and the Company regarding the use of the Couple.net website and/or the Service.